Seeking information on the Ameraucana breed

Matchbox Chicks

Part of the flock
I'm hopefully getting Ameraucanas in the spring, and I need some help finding good resources to read about them. I found some things from hatcheries, but I don't really trust their word.

I'm looking for information on:
1) broodiness
2) climate fitness (how well they can handle various climates)
3) rate of lay/age of burnout
4) age for gender ID
5) responsiveness to confinement
6) any special care needs
7) temperament, particularly around children
8) fertility rate
9) dietary needs, if they differ from the standard
10) conservation status

If anyone has experience or can find good literature on the subjects please let me know.

Moonshiner

1st Member
Influencer
Those two are a good place to start. Lots to read if you go through everything. There was even a forum but don't know if it's still around and active.
Don't believe everything you read about them from random sources.
Take it from someone that had blue egg layers back when they were all called araucana.
Before Ameraucana or Araucana were even recognized breeds and before Easter Egger was even a term.

Matchbox Chicks

Part of the flock
Those two are a good place to start. Lots to read if you go through everything. There was even a forum but don't know if it's still around and active.
Don't believe everything you read about them from random sources.
Take it from someone that had blue egg layers back when they were all called araucana.
Before Ameraucana or Araucana were even recognized breeds and before Easter Egger was even a term.
The forum is still up, and semi active.
I did ask the breeder a game of 20 questions, but I still have so much more I want to learn.

Claires Poultry

Hopelessly addicted to ducks
Influencer
Here is some more info on Ameraucanas that I got from Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds, by Carol Ekarius. I copied it right out of the book, so all the credit goes to Carol Ekarius.

"Although breeders have been improving the Ameraucana breed since the 1930s, when Araucana parent stock was imported to the United States from South America, the modern breed was developed in the 1970s. Breeders developed the Ameraucana to standardize a bird with the blue-egged trait of the Araucana but without its lethal allele combination.
The Ameraucana breed produces fine-looking birds that have a well-spread, medium-length tail, muffs, and a relatively small pea comb. They have a somewhat stocky build, with broad heads and large eyes.
We have some Ameraucanas in our flock, and the hens have an impressively long laying season. We don't need to use artificial light to keep the birds laying year-round; the Ameraucanas are among the last of our hens to quit laying in late November or early December, and the first to start back up in early January. The hens will go broody. Ameraucanas are quite hardy, with active but friendly personalities.
The Ameraucana was first admitted to the APA in 1984."

Class: All Other Standard Breeds
Place of Origin: United States
Conservation Status: Not applicable
Special Qualities: Lays blue eggs in various shades

Claires Poultry

Hopelessly addicted to ducks
Influencer
This is from the American Poultry Association (APA) Standard of Perfection book, 2010 edition. I don't have the newest edition so I just used the 2010 edition.

AMERAUCANAS
This breed was developed in the 1970s in the United States. It resulted from efforts by persons who admired some of the traits of the Araucana but did not want to contend with some of the self-limiting factors inherent in that breed. Thus, developing a practical fowl for home food production flocks that had the unique feature of pastel colored egg shells together with relatively small head furnishings and a plump, well-feathered body became the goal of these breeders. Ameraucanas lay eggs with blue shells and therefore are directly linked to with the Araucana stocks brought to the U.S. in the 1930s. Subsequent crossbreeding created a diverse genetic base from which dedicated breeders have evolved the Ameraucana breed with uniform and distinctive features. Ameraucanas were admitted to the Standard in 1984.

ECONOMIC QUALITIES
A general purpose fowl for the production of meat and eggs, the latter having distinctive blue shell coloration.

DISQUALIFICATIONS
Presence of ear tuffs, absence of beard and muffs, yellow soles of foot or toes.
(See General Disqualifications and Cutting for Defects.)

STANDARD WEIGHTS
Cock .............................. 6 1\2 lbs. Hen .............................. 5 1\2 lbs.
Cockerel ........................ 5 1\2 lbs. Pullet ........................... 4 1\2 lbs.

SHAPE -- MALE
COMB: Pea, relatively small, higher in center than front or rear.
BEAK: Strong, curved.
FACE: Nearly hidden by muffs.
EYES: Expressive, relatively large.
WATTLES: Very small, preferably absent.
EARLOBES: Small, oval.
MUFFS AND BEARD: Full, well-rounded, medium length, forming three separate lobes.
HEAD: Relatively broad and medium size.
NECK: Well-arched, medium length.
HACKLE: Full, abundant, flowing well over the shoulders and nearly meeting at front of neck.
BACK: Medium length, broad, carried slightly elevated at the shoulders.
SADDLE: Medium in length, abundant, providing smooth transition to angle of tail.
TAIL: Well spread, medium length, carried at 45° above horizontal, sickles well-curved.
WINGS: Fairly large, tips carried above the hock joint, fronts concealed by the hackle.
BREAST: Prominent, well-rounded.
BODY AND STERN: Body of medium length, stern well-tucked up.
LEGS AND TOES: Medium length, set apart, four toes, straight and well spread.

SHAPE -- FEMALE
COMB: Pea, small.
BEAK: Strong, curved.
FACE: Nearly hidden by muffs.
EYES: Expressive, relatively large.
WATTLES: Very small, preferably absent.
EARLOBES: Small, oval, pale.
MUFFS AND BEARD: Full, well-rounded, medium length, forming 3 separate lobes.
HEAD: Relatively broad and medium size.
NECK: Medium length, slightly arched.
HACKLE: Full, moderately long.
BACK: Medium length, relatively broad, slightly elevated at the shoulders.
CUSHION: Moderate, providing smooth transition to angle of tail.
TAIL: Medium length, well spread, top two feathers slightly curved, carried at 45° angle above horizontal.
WINGS: Fairly prominent, carried well-folded and above the hock joint.
BREAST: Full, well-rounded.
BODY AND STERN: Full but trim, fluff well-tucked up.
LEGS AND TOES: Legs set well apart, medium length, four toes, straight and well spread.

BLACK AMERAUCANAS

COLOR -- MALE AND FEMALE
COMB, FACE, WATTLES, AND EARLOBES: Red, except female earlobes to be very pale, matching color of the skin.
BEAK: Black.
EYES: Reddish bay.
SHANKS AND TOES: Very dark slate to black, bottoms of feet and toes white.
PLUMAGE: See description of Black Plumage Color, page 34.
From page 34...
[BLACK - Male and Female; Plumage: Surface -- lustrous greenish black.
Undercolor -- (except where otherwise specified) dull black in dark-legged varieties; slate in yellow legged varieties.]

BEARD AND MUFFS: Black.

BLUE AMERAUCANAS
COMB, FACE, WATTLES, AND EARLOBES: Red, except female earlobes to be very pale, matching color of the skin.
BEAK: Dark horn.
EYES: Reddish bay.
SHANKS AND TOES: Slate to black, bottoms of feet and toes white.
PLUMAGE: See description of Blue Plumage Color, page 37.
From page 37...
[BLUE - Male
HEAD: Glossy black.
NECK: Hackle -- an even shade of clear bluish slate, distinctly laced with with glossy black.
TAIL: Main Tail, Main and Lesser Sickles, Coverts -- an even shade of clear bluish slate, each feather distinctly laced with glossy black.
WINGS: Fronts and Bows -- an even shade of clear bluish slate, each feather distinctly laced with glossy black.
Coverts -- an even shade of clear bluish slate each feather having a sharply defined lacing of black.
Primaries -- an even shade of bluish slate.
Secondaries -- lower webs, an even shade of clear bluish slate; upper webs, clear bluish slate, each feather distinctly laced with black.
BREAST: An even shade of clear bluish slate, each feather having a sharply defined lacing of black.
Fluff -- clear bluish slate, laced with black.
LEGS: Lower thighs -- an even shade of clear bluish slate, each feather having a sharply defined lacing of black.
UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS: Bluish slate.

BLUE - Female
HEAD: Bluish slate.
NECK: Hackle -- an even shade of clear bluish slate, distinctly laced with black.
Front of Neck -- same as breast.
BACK: An even shade of clear bluish slate, each feather laced with black.
TAIL: Main Tail and Coverts -- an even shade of clear bluish slate, each feather each feather laced with black.
WINGS: Fronts, Bows, and Coverts -- an even shade of clear bluish slate, each feather having a sharply defined lacing of black.
Primaries -- an even shade of clear bluish slate.
Secondaries -- an even shade of clear bluish slate, distinctly laced with black.
BREAST: An even shade of clear bluish slate, each feather distinctly laced with black.
BODY AND FLUFF: Body -- an even shade of clear bluish slate, each feather distinctly laced with black.
Fluff -- an even shade of clear bluish slate, laced with black.
LEGS: Lower Thighs -- clear bluish slate, each feather distinctly laced with black.
UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS: Bluish slate.]

BEARD AND MUFFS: Blue.

Unfortunately they didn't have Splash Ameraucanas included in the book so therefore I do not have a description for them.

Last edited: